A typical day at Whimple Pre-school
This is an example of a typical day - timings are approximate!
9am Welcome, children to self register using name cards. Children settle in and choose an activity of their choice.
9.15 Special helper of the day rings the bell to ask everyone to gather on the carpet.
Sing 'hello song'. Special helper counts the children. News sharing etc.
9.25 Learning groups - children split into groups to do a structured activity with an adult.
9.45 Free play - children choose an an activity - a planned variety each day of child led and adult led/supported. There is a choice of activities such as role play, small world play, painting, play dough or other maleable play, creative, sometimes baking or a maths game. If the weather is ok, then the door is open and activities are taken in the garden too.
9.50 – 10.30 'Snack café' open – children choose to have snack when they wish to. Usually 6 at a time, children are helped to wash their hands beforehand and are offered a variety of fruit / raw vegetables, either buttered toast / crackers / biscuit. An adult is with them and encourages good manners, independence and friendly chatter at the table.
11am Tidy up time - all children are expected and encouraged to help tidy up the toys.
11 – 11.40 Outside play – more physical activities out eg. ride on toys, climbing frame, balls, hoops, dolls and prams etc.
11.45 Carpet time – singing/story/music
Lunch Club - children and staff have packed lunches together. This is a very relaxed, friendly time where lots of chatter takes place as well as good eating habits and independence encouraged.
When children finish their lunch they can choose quiet activities eg. Puzzles, books, scrap books, construction or if weather is good we go outside for play if children want to.
On our full days (Monday and Friday), we usually have quiet time at 1pm with a story cd so that our younger children can have a rest if needed.
The afternoon continues in a similar format to the morning but often a little less structured. Sometimes we go for a walk or a visit to the park depending on the children we have in and their interests on the day.
- We offer a special 1/2 hour early years gym session in the hall on Friday mornings run by 'Premier Sport'. (Photos of this are in our gallery.)
- Our Whimple vicar Chris Martin comes every few weeks with his guitar to sing with the children
- We often book enhancements such as 'Pyjama Drama' sessions
- We arrange for local police officers to visit or a dentist, nurse etc to provide children with an awareness of their profession
- We go for nature walks around the village or we visit the park if the weather is good.
- We usually do a trip each term such as visits to a local farm, Forest School.
- We do 'Relax Kids' sessions in the afternoons to encourage calmness and mindfulness, we often follow this with 'Yoga' cards to help increase balance and posture.